Free and Reduced Meals Information and Application

Program Information

  • Your child may be eligible for Free or Reduced-Price School Meals.

    Families who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch can save hundreds of dollars per child each year. These forms not only help provide healthy meals for our children, THEY ALSO HELP OUR SCHOOLS! When the number of children approved for Free and reduced meals increases, our schools may qualify for additional government funding. Please take the time to fill out the application to see if you qualify and help both your family and your school!

    Please make sure to fill our your form completely, we cannot process incomplete forms.


Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?
    A: Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the Business Manager at 503-824-3535, if you have questions.

    Q: Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
    A: No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.

    Q: Who can get free meals?
    A: Children in households getting Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, TANF or FDPIR can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

    Q: Can foster children get free meals?
    A: Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court can get free meals. Any foster child in the household can get free meal regardless of income.

    Q: Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?
    A: Please call Susan Inman, 503-824-3536 to see if your child(ren) qualifies, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.

    Q: Who can get reduced price meals?
    A: Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Income Chart.

    Q: If my child is eligible for free or reduced price meal benefits, when will the meal benefits begin?
    A: Meal benefits for new applications cannot start until an application is approved. Please provide a lunch or money for a paid lunch until you receive notice that the application is approved.

    Q: I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals?
    A: This can only be determined by completing and submitting the enclosed application for meal benefits. Please fill out an application.

    Q: My children receive Oregon Health Plan benefits. Can they get free meals?
    A: This can only be determined by completing and submitting the enclosed application for meal benefits. Please fill out an application.

    Q: Will the information I give be checked?
    A: Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.

    Q: If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?
    A: Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year.

    Q: What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
    A: You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Jay Kosik, Superintendent, 30429 S Grays Hill Rd, Colton, OR 97017.

    Q: May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
    A: Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

    Q: Who should I include as members of my household?
    A: You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you. Foster children may be included as household members. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

    Q: What if my income is not always the same?
    A: List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

    Q: We are in the military; do we include our housing allowance?
    A: If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be counted as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

    Q: My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is combat pay counted as income?
    A: Combat pay is excluded if it is received in addition to the service member’s basic pay; because of the deployment; and not received before being deployed.

    Q: My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?
    A: To find out how to apply for Oregon SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or Text “FOOD” to 877877 or call 1-866-348-6479 (1-866-3-HUNGRY) or visit If you have other questions or need.